All about tires: a complete overview of the subject
Stability, safety, comfort, economy... Did you know that all this - and more - can be attributed to your car's tire set? If you had not stopped to think about this subject, you will understand, now, that maintaining these items properly is essential for your vehicle to have the performance you expect for much longer. That is why, in this complete content, we will cover everything about tires. To get additional details, view here: Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus Review
You will find out which measures are ideal, understand about calibration, when they should be changed, the importance of alignment and balance, information about the useful life, what are its main elements, among other topics on the subject.
Read on and learn why you should pay attention to your car tires constantly!
What are the main elements of a tire?
To begin with, the rubber used for its manufacture is special. It is a mixture that involves synthetic and natural rubber, in addition to oil - in fact, what is called carbon black, a derivative of it that gives resistance to the product. In addition, we can include steel, nylon and polyester on the list.
See, in detail, which parts of your car's tire:
- tarpaulins: form the tire structure from fiber ropes, which are interlaced and covered with rubber, ensuring flexibility without making the part elastic;
- beads: made of steel and coated with rubber, they provide a hermetic seal between the wheel rim and the tire itself;
- strap: made of sheets of steel wire, is what makes the tires rigid and resistant;
- sidewall: additional thickness of rubber that goes from the floor to the bead, responsible for the lateral stability of the tire. This is also where the tire manufacturer's information is located;
- tread: it is that softer part of the tire, which comes in contact with the ground. Its consistency guarantees the necessary grip and cushioning for your comfort and safety - as long as you fulfill your role when driving well ;
- lamella and groove: tread textures that are responsible for causing mud, water or snow to disperse from the tire;
- column: it is a reinforcement for the central area of the tire, which is the most vulnerable.
And how is it done?
All the elements shown in the list above are carefully structured so that the tires have the appropriate performance for each type of situation. Here's how this is done:
- mixture: there are about 30 ingredients used in the composition of the rubber used in the tire, according to the performance expected for it;
- cutting: after the mixture is properly carried out, the rubber is cut into strips, which will form the structure of the tire;
- construction: the assembly starts from the inside out, starting from the textile items, going to the steel straps and, then, the beads, the tarpaulins, the floor and the other components. Everything is done on the construction machine, where the product already begins to take the shape we know, but it is still called a green tire;
- curing: from that moment, the green tire will be vulcanized in the curing machine. Here, all parts are compressed, molding their final shape. It is at this stage, too, that the manufacturer's information is fixed on the tire;
- inspection: with everything ready, before being put up for sale, the tire will be inspected to ensure that quality and safety standards have been met.
What is the life of a tire?
If you think that a tire's life can be seen only from the wear of the rubber, you are wrong. It is a manufactured product and composed of several elements, as we have seen so far. Therefore, its durability must also be measured considering important factors.